Situated in the heart of Interior Alaska, the Ester Volunteer Fire Department (EVFD) is seeking a progressive and professional visionary to lead the department. As one of the oldest departments in Alaska, EVFD serves a growing community of 3,600 with several active gold mines. Ester is situated in a quiet area outside of Fairbanks and was founded as a gold mining camp in the early 1900s. The Ester Camp Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Ester Community Association is a focal organization in our community. They keep and maintain the Ester Community Park and outdoor ice rink, and sponsor events such as the annual Fourth of July Parade. The community has several small businesses and is home to many artists, writers, musicians and numerous forms of wildlife. The Parks Highway runs through the community of Ester and is the major transportation corridor between Fairbanks and Anchorage for commercial trucking and tourism.
The department has ~30 volunteers and three paid 24 hour firefighters that provide services for the community of Ester. The Fire Chief shall have the responsibility to plan, organize, direct, and administer all operations of the Fire Department and may respond to calls during the day with staff on duty. The Fire Chief will serve as the Chief Executive Officer for the Board of Directors.
The candidate will possess strong proven management, leadership, and administrative skills and a thorough understanding of modern principles and practices of fire fighting and emergency medical services. The candidate will be an energetic team player with demonstrable interpersonal and interagency skills and a high sense of community pride. This position comes with health and vision insurance, as well as participation in a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan. Relocation stipend negotiable for out of area candidates.
For a complete copy of the Fire Chief Job Description, please contact the Ester Volunteer Fire Department at 907-479-6858 or go online at www.esterfire.org. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume by April 5, 2019 to our admin at the address below:
Ester Volunteer Fire Department
℅ Blue Moose Bookkeeping
PO Box 83798
Fairbanks, AK 99708-3798
Job Vacancy Announcement
Title: Fire Chief
Job Status: $75,000-$90,000 DOE with benefits
Contract Length: July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020
Opening Date: 3/21/2019
Closing Date: 4/05/2019
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide overall management to Ester Volunteer Fire Department (EVFD) as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) under direction of the Board of Directors (BOD).
- Respond to emergency calls, perform Incident Command and assist in fire investigations.
- Covers Battalion Chief shifts as needed.
- Manage paid and volunteer staff.
- Recruit, retain, and train members.
- Develop and oversee a leadership development program.
- Plan activities, programs, and goals for the fire department.
- Analyze and develop plans to ensure adequate fire protection and response to the community.
- Ensure adequate training is provided to all fire department members.
- Develops and maintains annual budget in line with strategic plan and available funding.
- Analyze and develop annual capital improvement lists. Develop five and ten year plans for the BOD and Commissioners.
- Attend monthly BOD meetings and prepare and present reports on fire department activities.
- Attend meetings, make appearances, and correspond on behalf of the department.
- Develop and ensure implementation of departmental rules and regulations.
- Perform periodic evaluation of personnel for discipline, efficiency and performance.
- Promote fire prevention through community outreach programs.
- Administer contracts with the Fairbanks North Star Borough and Ester Fire Service Area Commission.
- Ensures current vehicle maintenance and replacement schedule is maintained and vehicles are maintained according to policy.
- Ensures all buildings are properly maintained and repaired.
- Minimum 10 years structural firefighting and emergency medical experience with 5 years of progressive supervisory/leadership experience in the fire service.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Basic accounting and administrative skills and experience.
- Demonstrable knowledge of building construction, modern firefighting techniques, mobile water supply, wildland fire, and mutual aid agreements.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations that pertain to the fire/EMS service.
- Oversee the development and acquisition of external fundraising opportunities, including grants.
- Ability to work well with paid staff, volunteers, Board of Directors, other departments, and the general public.
- Understanding of the principles of organization, supervision.
- Administration of volunteer fire and EMS departments.
- Knowledge of the geography and climate of the region.
- Pass EVFD sponsored, OSHA approved, physical examination.
- Ability to pass a department of public safety background check.
- Ability to pass the EVFD physical agility test.
- Reside within 20 minutes of Station 51.
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter II or equivalent.
- Current State of Alaska EMT-1 or higher at time of hire.
- NWCG Red Card.
- Hazardous Material Operations Level.
- Valid State of Alaska Driver’s License by start of employment.
- Complete driver check-offs on all EVFD apparatus within 3 months of employment.
- Associates degree or higher in fire protection, business administration, public administration, or related field. May substitute with 5 years of firefighting experience at the Captain level or higher.
- IFSAC Fire Officer 1 or higher.
- NIMS ICS 300 and 400 or ability to attain within 6 months.
- Certified IFSAC Fire Instructor.
- Reside within the Ester Fire Service area.